Fabric Pests In Greater Atlanta, GA
About Fabric Pests
Fabric pests are destructive little critters that can damage your fabrics. These pests are often small and can be difficult to get under control. Learn how ProCare Pest Services can help keep fabric pests out of your house.
Frequently Asked Questions About Fabric Pests
What are fabric pests?
Fabric pests are destructive little critters that can damage your clothing, linens, bedding, and other fabrics. Some of the most common fabric pests we deal with in our area include carpet beetles and clothes moths. Read on to learn more about these pesky invaders.
- Dwell in dark, undisturbed areas and commonly infest carpets
- Oval-shaped bodies measuring between 1/16 and 1/8 of an inch (adults beetles)
- Black with speckles of white, yellow, orange, and brown
- Feed on keratin (a fibrous animal protein that larvae can digest), compromising items made of wool, fur, silk, feathers, felt, leather, and skin
- Prefer dark and undisturbed places like attics, basements, and closets
- Small in size (but larger than carpet beetles), measuring about 1/2 an inch long,
- A beige color with narrow wings and small hairs
- Feed exclusively on animal fibers like wool, fur, silk, feathers, felt, and leather, causing damage to scarves, coats, sweaters, rugs, pillows, blankets, comforters, toys, etc.
Where do fabric pests live?
There are many places where fabric pests can live. Following their food source, they’re often near fabrics, and they tend to lay their eggs on wet or stained clothing. They gravitate to remote areas like the outer edges of carpets and upholstered furniture.
Often, fabric pests are even inside floor vents and ducts where pet hair has accumulated. They’re usually in hard-to-see places that are dark and protected, like rugs under furniture or in the folds of clothing, or the pleats in fabrics. A Marietta pest control professional can detect and eliminate fabric pests from your property.
Are fabric pests dangerous?
As evident in their name, fabric pests cause damage to all kinds of fiber products. They can be destructive to wool items, carpets, rugs, clothing, and even taxidermy mounts.
What do fabric pests eat?
Fabric Pests feed on a variety of materials and common fibers like wool, silk, leather, and others.
How do I know if I have a fabric pest problem?
If you’re not sure how to tell whether or not you have fabric pests or not, there are some signs to be on the lookout for. Here are a few common signs of fabric pest activity around your property:
- Beetle or moth larvae found in carpet piling
- Damage to any fabrics or textiles around your home
- Living or dead insects found near windows and door frames
- Shed skin and fecal pellets left around infested areas
- Visible eggs in air ducts, closets, and cupboards
How can I protect my property from fabric pests?
When it comes to keeping your property protected against fabric pests, it’s a good idea to be proactive in your prevention efforts. Here are some tips for preventing fabric pest activity around your home or business:
- Dry clean or frequently launder susceptible items like wools and other vulnerable fabrics.
- Get rid of any eggs or larvae around the premises and eliminate pest-attracting odors.
- Inspect clothing carefully, paying attention to seams, creases, cuffs, collars, and folds.
- Keep sensitive items properly stored and packed away in tightly-sealed containers or bags.
- Routinely monitor and check vulnerable areas for signs of pest activity.
- Vacuum along baseboards, carpet edges, beneath furniture, inside closets, and around stored items.
How do I get rid of fabric pests?
If you think you may have fabric pests on your property, the best thing to do is reach out to a team of experienced pest professionals and commercial pest exterminators. Contact ProCare Pest Services today to address your fabric pest control needs. We have lots of experience identifying, exterminating, and preventing these destructive intruders and guarantee protection you can trust. Reach out to us to learn more.
Request Your Free Quote
Complete the form below to request your quote.
Recent Blog Articles
Lawrenceville Property Owners' Complete Guide To Effective Scorpion Control
Are scorpions threatening to invade your Lawrenceville home? Find out here and adopt some helpful tips and strategies to keep them away.
How To Identify And Get Rid Of Brown Recluse Spiders In Lawrenceville
Take time today to learn about the brown recluse spider and discover five methods to keep these harmful arachnids out of your Lawrenceville home.